In the last 48 hours I’ve witnessed something both frustrating and heartbreaking.
So much so, I’ve come to this conclusion: You and I need to take the internet back.
At some point we as a culture have lost the ability to argue our point of view without attacking one another.
Check out just a few of the comments I’ve seen on my blog and on Facebook recently:
“You’re an idiot…” “What kind of Christian are you?” “That’s so stupid…” “Who do you think you are?”
And that’s just a few of them.
Every single day we’re bombarded by articles, blogs (like this one), posts, quotes, and videos….all with a message.
In response, we all rightly have opinions. If you’re going to engage in offering up a different opinion on social media, PLEASE remember these 7 principles:
1. Decide if responding is really worth it.
2. Attack the Argument, Not the person. <period
3. Realize you might be wrong.
4. Don’t take your emotional ball and go home when people disagree with you.
5. Love the person you’re disagreeing with.
6. Keep your words bathed in love.
7. Remember, people are watching your reaction.
We can do this. You and I can change the tone we see every day. We can offer up our ideas and opinions in a way that shines rather than darkens.
I’ll leave you with the words of the Apostle Paul:
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29
Oh, and let’s spread the word. This has gotta change.